With Canada Day approaching, the Municipality of Meaford would like to remind those that are looking to set off family fireworks as part of their celebrations to stay safe and celebrate responsibly.
In our Municipality, family/consumer fireworks may only be enjoyed on private property in celebration of Canada Day from:
June 28th until July 4th, between dusk and 11:00 p.m.
Firework users must be over the age of 18. Fireworks are not permitted on any Municipal land, boulevard or roadway (which includes all parks, open spaces and beaches). The discharging of fireworks must be set back at least 8 meters (18.4 feet) from any buildings, sheds, tents, shelters, or vehicles. For more information, please review By-law 46-2014 to Regulate Firearms, Fireworks and Prohibit Firecrackers.
Please take the following safety precautions to avoid an injury or property damage.
- Purchase family fireworks from a reliable source
- Read the instructions carefully
- Light fireworks one at a time at arm’s length, on a hard, flat and level surface
- Supervise children carefully
- Ensure spectators are at a safe distance
- Have a bucket of sand, water supply, or working fire extinguisher on hand.
- Never hold a lit firework, or try to reignite a “dud” or defective firework
Fireworks can be distressing to pets, so keep animals safely indoors when using them. Please remember to be respectful of your neighbours, and have a safe and happy Canada Day.