The Collingwood and The Blue Mountains OPP recently conducted a Lock It Or Lose It initiative checking vehicles at local parking lots to ensure they are locked.
During this initiative, a total of over 200 cars were checked with 10 vehicles found unlocked and 5 with valuables in plain view. Under the Lock It Or Lose It program, parked vehicles are examined to confirm they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view. A Lock It Or Lose It notice is placed on every vehicle checked which specifies what safety precautions were ignored and simple prevention tips are provided which drivers can use to protect their vehicles and valuables from theft.
With the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping coming up soon, following these Lock It Or Lose It tips will help protect your vehicle contents from theft.
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the keys.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate/proof of insurance on you at all times.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
Theft from motor vehicles is an ongoing crime which directly impacts victims. This type of crime is not new, but is very often preventable through community engagement so the next time you leave your vehicle parked, please ensure it is locked and all valuables are placed out of sight.